Vehicle Theft Prevention Month
In 2020, more than 750,000 vehicles were stolen in the United States, with half of those due to driver error. As a driver, you can take steps to keep your vehicle and belongings safe. Below are ways you can help prevent motor vehicle theft.
1. Park in well-lit areas.
2. Close and lock all windows and doors when you park.
3. Put away your valuables.
4. Do not leave your keys in your vehicle.
5. Do not leave the area while your vehicle is running.
6. Lock your vehicle every time you walk away from it.
7. Invest in an antitheft system or device designed to make vehicles more difficult to steal or easier to trace and recover. These include:
• Audible and Visible Devices, such as alarms.
• Immobilizing-Type Devices that prevent thieves from bypassing a vehicle’s ignition system and hot-wiring the vehicle.
• Vehicle Recovery Systems that help law enforcement reveal the location of stolen vehicles and possibly catch the thief in the act.
Learn more about how to protect yourself and your vehicle: